This blog is for all things related to The New York Jets. I started this blog to share my thoughts on the Jets as well as post any significant news and speculation on the team. Expect updates several times each day. I will respond to all questions and comments, so please don't hesitate to leave any. You can follow me on twitter @NYJets32

Monday, March 8, 2010

Look for the Patriots to be interested in Leon Washington

With the Patriots having plenty of first day picks over the 2010-2011 drafts, it doesn't surprise me that I've been reading reports that the New England Patriots are interested in acquiring Restricted Free Agent (RFA) Leon Washington from the Jets. The Jets have placed a 2nd round tender on the 4th year RB out of Florida State, which means that the Patsies, or any team for that matter, would have to give up a 2nd rounder to acquire Washington from the Jets. Of course, since Washington is a RFA, the Jets are allowed to match the contract offer from the Patriots if they wish to keep him. Alvin Keels, Leon's agent, says "Leon's return to the Jets is 50/50 at best."


The Patriots have seen first hand the kind of play-maker that Leon Washington is and I'm sure they would like to add him to there offense. As a Jet fan, I certainly don't want to watch Washington, Welker, Edelman, and Moss play against us twice a year. Leon would appear to be a good fit since the Patriots do not have the best running game in the NFL and definitely could use Leon behind Tom Brady.

With the Thomas Jones departure and Rex Ryan's run first philosophy, it would seem essential that the Jets keep Leon Washington. However, there are some concerns here- Leon is coming off a serious leg injury and he will also be 28 by the start of next season. With the 2010 draft being so deep, it would be nice for the Jets to get an additional 2nd round pick. I believe the Jets' front office is interested in having 2 quality backs to split time with next year's workhorse- Shonn Greene. I expect the Jets to draft a RB in the early to mid rounds in this draft even if they keep Washington on the roster. If Washington is picked up, I expect a veteran RB to be acquired as well as one being drafted.

Bottom Line: It appears that the Patriots do indeed have interest in Washington, but I'm sure Tannenbaum and Rex would hate to see Leon go to the Jets biggest rival. I would expect the Jets to match nearly any offer that the Patriots give him if they decide to make a move. If a team with an early to mid 2nd rounder offers Leon a contract, especially an NFC team, I think that would be in end of Leon in green and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment